Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue provides a unique opportunity to support first responders and provides a meaningful way to contribute to the TVF&R mission. This is a new position to support a small but growing payroll team within the finance division at TVF&R.
The Payroll Assistant understands the payroll function in a complex workforce, excellent customer service skills, outstanding attention to detail, and exceptional judgement in processing confidential information.
As our ideal Payroll Assistant, you can expect to:
– Support District personnel through exceptional customer service, communication, and emotional intelligence.
– Effectively multi-tasks on a variety of payroll responsibilities within established deadlines.
– Skillfully review and audit payroll records for accuracy.
Example of Duties
The broadly defined essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following duties and responsibilities:
– Processing payroll, completing payroll-related employee profile setup and changes, including union administrative employee compensations actions.
– Responds to questions, assists employees with payroll related questions.
– Audits electronic time-keeping records and monitors accrual usage.
– Regularly conducts new hire payroll orientation and training.
– Process monthly and annual payroll audits and communicates results with staff.
– Develops annual payroll calendar and prepares the fiscal processing calendar for the finance division.
Details on what the ideal candidate brings to the team and our benefits package can be found in the recruitment flyer.
– High school diploma or equivalent.
– Two years of payroll support experience, including payroll processing, auditing, and reconciliation.
Certifications & Licensures
– Certification in payroll and/or accounting practices is preferred.
– Demonstrated knowledge of payroll laws, practices, principals, theories, and methods.
– Demonstrated knowledge and ability to use Microsoft Office suite programs at an intermediate proficiency.
– Ability to provide a high level of internal and external service.
– Demonstrates an ability to process confidential information and legal documents, while exercising discretion in protecting and releasing confidential information.
For additional information on the requirements for this position, we invite you to review the job description.
The selection process will comprise of a minimum qualification review, recorded video interview, on-site panel interview, and a Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word competency test.
TVF&R evaluates each applicant’s work history and responses to supplemental questions. Please be sure to thoroughly answer the application’s supplemental questions to ensure our subject matter experts can appropriately evaluate your experience and qualifications. To reduce barriers to entry, TVF&R evaluates an applicant’s work history and responses to these supplemental questions rather than requiring cover letters and resumes.
The monthly salary range within a step system for this position is $4,033 – $5,456 per month. The starting pay assignment, based on a candidate’s bona fide factor analysis in accordance with the District’s pay equity system and the Oregon Equal Pay Act and will be in the range of $4,033- $4,836 per month. The maximum of $5,456 can be attained after five years contingent on performance.
It is the District’s policy to provide eligible veterans with preference as required by law. Applicants must provide certification of eligibility for entitlement to the preference (e.g. DD-214 long form clearly showing discharge status) with the application submission by the closing date of the posting.
The location for this position is the Command Business Operations Center, located in Tigard, OR. Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue strives to provide exceptional internal and external customer service. To ensure a collaborative and supportive environment with both the public we serve and our coworkers, employees predominantly perform their work on-site at the assigned work location.