The Friends of Vista House
Status: Full Time / Salaried
Supervisor: Board of Directors
Location: Vista House Crown Point & Corporate Office (Troutdale, OR)
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Vista House, dedicated in 1918, is one of the most beautiful scenic points on the Historic Columbia River Highway. It was constructed to provide travelers a place to rest and refresh themselves as they made their way down the magnificent Columbia River Gorge.
The Friends of Vista House (FOVH) is a non-profit group (501c3) in partnership with Oregon State Parks who work to help preserve and share the story of this beautiful historic Oregon structure. Our volunteers provide visitors with regional and interpretive information to help make their visit a more valuable experience. Our volunteers provide special building tours and talks to school, civic, and tourist groups. Visitors learn about the architecture of Vista House, the Historic Columbia River Highway, the Columbia River Gorge, local history, the geology, flora and fauna of the region, and the many wonderful attractions along the Highway and throughout the Gorge.
The FOVH Executive Director serves as the developer, manager, and promoter of its operations, and as a representative of the organization to the public. The Executive Director must possess integrity and the ability to communicate with a variety of people; have a strong belief in the FOVH mission; and build strong relationships with the Friends of Vista House partners and volunteers.
Organizational Management & Planning
- Assure compliance with state and federal laws governing non-profit charitable organizations in all areas, including, but not limited to, reporting requirements, insurance coverage, & legal issues with the Board of Directors.
- Oversee interpretive program design and implementation by staff and volunteers and staff the Vista House interpretive desk when needed.
- Oversee volunteer education programs and volunteer recruitment efforts.
- Maintain the volunteer handbook and conduct annual volunteer training
- Serve as primary staff liaison to Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) in planning, implementing and evaluating programs and events to achieve the mission of FOVH.
- Draft OPRD Co-op Association Annual Plan to be presented to the Board.
- Produce monthly board meeting agenda with Board President; attend board meetings and annual retreat.
- Prepare monthly Executive Director’s Report.
- Maintain all records and files of meetings, policies, bylaws, and board business.
- Monitor all aspects of retail store, including store policies and financial procedures.
- Coordinate and implement fundraising plans or grant applications as needed, in partnership with the Board of Directors.
- Acknowledge donations and respond to grantors’ promptly.
- Monitor implementation of the FOVH Personnel Policies and Procedures.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise and evaluate performance of direct staff reports.
- Oversee volunteer scheduling and performance; develop relationships and communication systems.
- Manage implementation of the FOVH Financial Policies and Procedures, review as needed with the Board of Directors.
- Draft and monitor annual FOVH operating budget with Board of Directors Treasurer.
- Prepare and send monthly financial data and payroll to the Treasurer and the Accountant.
- Monitor retail purchasing and expenses with the Retail Operations Manager.
- Monitor consignment sales reports to consignors and schedule consignment payouts.
Community & Public Relations
- Participate in appropriate community initiatives and activities that support the FOVH mission.
- Initiate and coordinate all public relations efforts and represent the FOVH at public and professional meetings.
- Develop and maintain cooperative relationships with community-based organizations, State Park officials, Government bureaus, funders, and other organizations to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Leverage social media and website to garner support and interest in the Vista House.
- Develop and implement engagement events for volunteers.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in a non-profit leadership role or related field.
- 1-2 years’ experience in volunteer management.
- Strong leadership and organization skills with extensive management experience and knowledge of non-profit regulations and requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and active listening skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software products, including Excel and Word.
- Proficiency in social media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Website) is a plus.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the histories of the Vista House, The Historic Columbia River Highway, and the Columbia River Gorge or willingness to learn.
- Experience providing interpretive information in a public setting is a plus.
- Experience with event and large group activity planning.
- Additional job duties as needed. Employees may be cross trained to support more than one position within the organization.
- Physical ability to lift, carry, and transfer items weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Healthcare stipend provided
- Reliable transportation and ability to provide a copy of a valid driver’s license and insurance.
- Availability to work varied hours, including weekends and holidays year-round as business dictates.
The Vista House is an historic building located in the Columbia Gorge and the work environment can be affected by windy, cold and/or very warm weather conditions.
- Must meet Oregon Parks and Recreation Department COVID Vaccine requirements.
- Frequent presence at the Vista House, especially during open season, to maintain relationships with volunteers and staff and stay in touch with day-to day events.
- Successful completion of a background investigation.
Vista House 40700 Historic Columbia River Hwy, Corbett, OR 97019
Corporate Office 27046 SE Stark St, Troutdale, OR 97060, USA