Team: Management, General & Administration
Reports To: Executive Director
Hours: 40 hours per week
Compensation: Starting pay $125, 287 – $137, 821 annually, depending on experience
Benefits: 100% paid medical and dental insurance, AD&D, short- and long-term disability insurance, holidays, and paid leave
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Type: Full time
Work Location: Currently remote with on-site project visits, moving to a hybrid model in the future
ABOUT THE POSITION
Human Solutions seeks a Director of Affordable Housing who is passionate about leading the organization’s work to advance its mission of housing justice. The Director is responsible for the holistic management and oversight of Human Solutions’ housing team and currently directly supervises 4 individuals; the department overall includes 11 positions. The team is responsible for the development, acquisition, rehabilitation, and refinancing of affordable rental housing, asset management for a growing 800+ unit portfolio, and the provision of Resident Services to promote housing security and build equitable communities. This position will oversee a team responsible for all of the organization’s affordable housing and real estate work, including Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH), mixed-use projects, and resident services for the agency’s rental housing. The Director reports to the Executive Director, serves as a member of the agency’s Senior Management Team and Program Coordination Team, and contributes to the organization’s overall leadership. The individual in this position will represent Human Solutions in public meetings, with the media, and on policy and decision-making public committees related to affordable housing.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads the development and implementation of the organization’s housing strategies by identifying opportunities for the development and acquisition of new affordable housing projects, rehabilitation of existing properties, and ensuring the portfolio’s long-term physical and financial health and mission achievement.
- Supervises housing development team and supports Project Manager(s) and directs their work through all phases of housing development.
- Maintains a deep understanding of the housing and development landscape, including current and potential funding options and models like
- Housing First and Permanent Supportive Housing.
- Develops and maintains agency relationships with state and local housing officials, private investors, and lenders.
- Analyzes development opportunity sites and assesses project development and operational feasibility.
- Negotiates and obtains project financing including grants, loans, tax credits, rental assistance contracts, and other subsidies.
- Partner with the Director of Development and Communication on Fundraising for capital projects (e.g. Grants).
- Works effectively in partnership with culturally specific and service-providing agencies to ensure the housing we develop and manage responds equitably and intentionally to community needs and desires.
- Provides stewardship of Human Solutions’ portfolio of existing properties in accordance with the agency’s mission and goals around portfolio sustainability and racial equity.
- Supervise and support the Asset Management Director.
- Ensures existing properties are performing in accordance with the mission, legal and regulatory requirements, and in accordance with financing requirements and covenants.
- Develops and implements long-term financing strategy for housing portfolio at a portfolio-wide and property-specific level, including investor exits, recapitalizations, workouts, dispositions, negotiated settlements, and agency financial contributions.
- Maximizes the financial and mission-based return on investment achieved by Human Solutions through its affordable housing projects, while ensuring the fiscal and structural longevity of all housing units owned or developed.
- Supervise and support the Resident Services Program Director.
- Promotes the stability and success of Human Solutions residents and advances organizational goals around housing and racial justice.
- Represents resident services program needs in the development of new housing projects and in the maintenance of the existing portfolio.
- Works with the Executive Director, Board, and agency leadership to develop and implement the agency’s housing and real estate strategies to achieve the agency mission and meet critical community needs.
- Represents Human Solutions professionally in policy and decision-making with lenders, funders, and other community partners and advocates for the interests of the organization and its constituents in the community.
- Serves as a member of the Senior Management Team that is responsible for setting organizational direction, making inclusive and transparent decisions, and facilitating an inclusive and positive internal climate and culture.
- Develops annual department budget and coordinates with cross-agency financial strategy
- Attends monthly board meetings and provides reports and briefs to the Board of Directors on projects and obtains Board approvals.
- Leads the Board’s Housing Development Finance Committee including developing a monthly report for the board packet.
QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
- 7+ years of related work experience in housing development. Asset management and real estate finance experience are preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in real estate development, urban planning, business, or related field. Master’s preferred, but not required.
- In-depth experience in using affordable housing financing tools including LIHTC, OAHTC, FHA loan products, Project-Based HAP contracts, CDBG, HOME, HUD, bond programs, year-15 exists, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate complex real estate transactions, including the ability to review legal documents and negotiate terms to protect the agency’s financial and business interests.
- Familiarity with housing compliance and regulatory requirements of various funding sources.
- Substantial knowledge of real estate laws and procedures, land use and zoning restrictions, mortgage and construction finance, and property/asset management procedures.
- In-depth knowledge of Federal, State, and local housing and community development programs.
- A demonstrated understanding of racial equity and racial justice work and how housing policies and practices have contributed to racial disparities.
- Personal commitment to equity, inclusion, and anti-oppression principles.
- The position requires strong attention to detail and collaboration with internal and external teams.
- Ability to work with a wide range of entities and people, including government agencies, neighborhood residents, and independent contractors.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication and organizational skills.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and reliable transportation required. Vehicle insurance coverage limits must be $100,000 bodily injury liability for one person, $300,000 bodily injury liability for all people in an accident, and $100,000 property damage liability.
- As of December 15, 2021, Human Solutions will require that all its employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exception and accommodation plan as a minimum qualification for their position.